Carel ter Linden started his career as an army chaplain in Ossendrecht and was later minister in Hoogvliet and Oegstgeest. He was minister of the Kloosterkerk parish of the Dutch Reformed Church in The Hague from 1983 to 1999. Reverend Ter Linden recently published a book on biblical imagery. He is also the author of a series of meditations.
Elder on duty
A.C. Valkenburg, the elder on duty, is elder of the Delft Centre and Vrijenban district parish. He and Reverend Ter Linden will lead the service. After the service Mr Valkenburg will present a bible to the bride and bridegroom.
The service was prepared by the bride and bridegroom and Reverend Ter Linden.
Music during the service
Bas de Vroome, organist of the Oude Kerk.
The Laurenschoir and the Laurens Bach Orchestra of Rotterdam, with soprano Nienke Oostenrijk, conducted by Barend Schuurman.
The Marriage Song to be sung after the blessing was written specially for the occasion by Huub Oosterhuis. Music by Antoine Oomen.
At the request of His Royal Highness Prince Friso and Miss Mabel Wisse Smit, guests in the Oude Kerk will be invited to make a donation to the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria. This organisation was established in 2002 to help countries in need. For more information, see The Global Fund
Guard of honour
Delft University Cadets will form a guard of honour at the main entrance of the Oude Kerk.
Flowers in the Oude Kerk
The flowers decorating the church were a gift from the Association of Dutch Flower Auctions. They were arranged by Mr Piet Vellekoop of Bloemenbureau Holland.
Monogram of Prince Friso and Miss Mabel Smit
The monogram on the cover of the Order of Service was designed by Prince Friso and Mr Hans Kruit.
The newly re-upholstered prie-dieu was used for the weddings of Queen Wilhelmina and Prince Hendrik in 1901, Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien in 2001, and the Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima in 2002.
Prince Friso and Miss Mabel Smit will be driven in the 1958 model Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith Limousine Landaulette. They will leave from Noordeinde Palace for the Town Hall in Delft and proceed from there to the Oude Kerk before returning to Noordeinde Palace.
The car was ordered by Queen Juliana from Rolls-Royce Motors Ltd. of London in 1957. It was first used on 20 March 1958 during the state visit to the Netherlands of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom and Prince Philip. Many other heads of state were driven in the Rolls-Royce between 1958 and 1978. Princess Beatrix and Prince Claus also used the car during that period on their tours of the Netherlands.
The only left hand drive Rolls-Royce Landaulette in the world, it was brought back into service on 2 February 2002 for the wedding of the Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima.