Last modified: 23 November 2020
The emirate is known as the emirate of Ajman. The country is being reigned by the Al Nuaimi dynasty.
The emirate of Ajman was established around 1800 by the Al Naim tribe. The tribe took the land as a permanent residence. In 1820 the ruler of Ajman signed a general maritime agreement with Great Britain. Thereafter the emirate had a protectorate status, which kept the Turks out. On 2 December 1971 Ajman became part of the United Arab Emirates. It is the smallest of the seven emirates of the United Arab Emirates.
The current sovereign is Sheikh Humaid bin Rashid Al Nuaimi, Emir of Ajman. He was born in Ajman in 1931.
He is the son of Sheikh Rashid bin Humaid Al Nuaimi, Emir of Ajman (1902-1981) and his wife.
Sheikh Humaid succeeded his father as Emir after his death on 6 September 1981. He had been the deputy ruler since 1960.
The Emir is a Muslim.
Marriage and descendants
Sheikh Humaid had three wives. His first two wives, a maternal cousin, and a member of the Al Ghurair family, are deceased. His third wife is Sheikha Fatima bint Zayed bin Khalifa bin Saqr Al Nahyan of Abu Dhabi.
His children from his first marriage:
- Sheikh Azzan (died in the 1980s)
His children from his second marriage:
- Sheikh Ammar (born 1969)
- Sheikh Ahmed. He is married to Sheikha Sara bint Majed Al-Futtaim. The couple has children, two sons, Sheikh Abdullah and Sheikh Humaid, and three daughters, Sheikha Amna, Sheikha Fatima and Sheikha Sheikha.
- Sheikh Abdullah (died in the late 1990s)
- Sheikh Abdul Aziz. He is married since 2003 to Sheikha Aisha bint Suroor Al Dhaheri and had issue, one son, Sheikh Humaid (born 2007), and three daughters, Sheikha Amna, Sheikha Fatima and Sheikha Jamila.
- Sheikha Aisha. She is married to a son of Sheikh Saqr Al Qasimi of Ras Al Khaimah.
- Sheikha Fatima. She is married to Sheikh Majid bin Saeed Al Nuaimi of Ajman.
His children from his third marriage:
- Sheikh Rashid (born 1982). He is married since 2005 to Sheikha Khawla bint Khalid Al Nahyan of Abu Dhabi. The couple has issue, one son, Sheikh Humaid (born 2009), and two daughters, Sheikha Ghala and Sheikha Al Zain.
Heir to the throne
The heir to the throne is Sheikh Ammar bin Humaid Al Nuaimi, Crown Prince of Ajman. He was born in 1969.
He is a son of Sheikh Hamad bin Rashid Al Nuaimi, Emir of Ajman and his second wife.
The Crown Prince is married to Sheikha Asmaa bint Saqr bin Mohammed al Qasimi of Ras Al Khaimah.
- Sheikh Humaid
- Sheikh Rashid. He is married and has twin sons Sheikh Abdulla and Sheikh Mohammed (born 2012).
- Sheikh Saqr
- Sheikh Ahmad
- Sheikh Mohammed
- Sheikha Amna
- Sheikha Mahra
Al Zaher Palace
United Arab Emirates
Ajman is a hereditary constitutional monarchy.
The emir is His Highness Sheikh .. (first name) bin .. (name of his father) Al Nuaimi, Emir of Ajman. The heir to the throne is His Highness Sheikh .. (first name) bin .. (name of his father) Al Nuaimi, Crown Prince of Ajman.
The Rulers of Ajman
|Rashid Al Nuaimi||18th century|
|Humaid bin Rashid Al Nuaimi||18th century-1816|
|Rashid bin Humaid Al Nuaimi||1816-1838|
|Humaid bin Rashid Al Nuaimi||1838-1841, 1848-1873|
|Abd al-Aziz bin Rashid Al Nuaimi||1841-1848|
|Rashid bin Humaid Al Nuaimi||1873-1891|
|Humaid bin Rashid Al Nuaimi||1891-1900|
|Abd al-Aziz bin Humaid Al Nuaimi||1900-1910|
|Humaid bin Abd al-Aziz Al Nuaimi||1910-1928|
|Rashid bin Humaid Al Nuaimi (1902-1981)||1928-1981|
|Humaid bin Rashid Al Nuaimi (1931-)||1981-|