One week to go until Queen Margrethe II of Denmark finally will be able to celebrate the 50th Jubilee of her accession to the Danish throne. After her 80th birthday celebrations had been cancelled in April 2020, also most festivities on the occasion of the jubilee had to be postponed in January 2022. Several events have taken place in the months afterwards, but the main events will be celebrated in the weekend of 10 and 11 September 2022.
Wednesday 7 September 2022
11am: The Queen receives a number of groups representing various organizations at Fredensborg Palace in connection with her birthday.
Saturday 10 September 2022
- Changing of the guard by the Royal Life Guard on Amalienborg Palace Square (cancelled).
- Noon: The Queen and her family step out on the balcony of Christian IX’s Palace, Amalienborg (cancelled).
- 12.30pm: Carriage ride through the city centre from Amalienborg to Copenhagen City Hall (cancelled).
- 1pm: Reception at the City Hall (cancelled).
- 7.50pm: The Queen arrives at Det Kongelige Teater (Royal Theatre).
- 8.pm: Gala performance at the Royal Theatre.
Sunday 11 September 2022
- 10am: Service at the Cathedral Church of Our Lady in Copenhagen.
- 12.30pm: Lunch reception at the Dannebrog, Quay of the Amaliehaven.
- 8pm: Gala dinner at Christiansborg Palace.
The guestlist has been limited to the Danish royal family, foreign Nordic heads of state, representatives from official Denmark, the Copenhagen City Council and representatives from the Royal Danish Court. Foreign royals that will attend are King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia of Sweden, as well as King Harald V and Queen Sonja of Norway.
On 2 September Queen Margrethe opened the open air exhibition “50 Queens” on the occasion of the Golden Days Festival at Kongens Nytorv in Copenhagen, that will be called Dronningens Nytorv (The Queen’s Square). An installation of 50 pedestals showcased on the square celebrates the role of women in Denmark from past to present. A jury has chosen 49 women who have had a great impact on Danish history. Number 50 of course is the Queen herself. The exhibition will be on display from 2 to 18 September.
The jubilee exhibitions that are still open and well worth a visit:
14 January 2022 – 23 October 2022
Amalienborg Museum, Copenhagen
En dronnings smykkeskrin – 50 år på tronen fortalt i smykker (A Queen’s Jewellery Box – 50 years on the throne told through jewellery)
1 February 2022 – 30 December 2022
Mary & Kronprinsesserne (Mary & The Crown Princesses)
And in France
15 July 2022 – 13 October 2022
Médiathèque du Grand Cahors, Cahors
The Queen’s vignettes for Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings trilogy
15 July 2022 – 5 March 2023
Musée Henri-Martin, Cahors
Margrethe II of Denmark: Artist-Queen